Friday, March 13, 2009

Romantic Retreat

So the hubby and I are celebrating 10 years this summer and we are trying to decide where we might go to enjoy a little romantic retreat. After all, 10 years and 3 kids later, we're hanging on to those pure "couplehood" days by a single frayed thread. Not really, but sometimes it feels like it, huh? Anyway...

I'm thinking Savannah...


We've only been there once and for just one half of a day really. It was the middle of July and burning up hot. And I do not handle hot very well. Even if I am from Mississippi. I learned at a young age that when it's hot outside, you stay inside. Simple as that. What are air conditioners for anyway? So I'd like to go back and see a little more of the city, check out the local art and maybe dine at Paula Deen's restaurant. I do love me some Southern cookin'!

BUT
I'd also love to finally visit Charleston...
I have heard so many wonderful things about this city and I'm sure it would be perfect for a little lovey dovey vacation too. I've heard they have some beautiful semi-private beaches there...wink wink!
So what do y'all think? Have you been to either of these places and which would you recommend? Or do you have another suggestion that is within reason? I mean, obviously, with the stimulus checks not being forthcoming and all, we must set some limits I suppose. Fiji can wait, right?
I'd love to hear your thoughts...

5 comments:

  1. I've been to Charleston several times and it's beautiful! I've always wanted to spend some time in Savannah instead of just passing through. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Both are beautiful and romantic. However, that semi-private beach thing causes me to worry a little. I don't want to be driving to Charleston to bail you all out of jail! (But I would of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait until Staci comments. I know what she will say... I think you can't go wrong either way. I mean at this point a trip to McDonalds alone as a couple has the possibilty of having a little romance in it. Heehee. (I say that from one busy mom to another!) I love Charleston but have always wanted to see Savannah! How fun for you guys! Way to go on ten years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, here goes...anyone who knows me knows my recommendation: CHARLESTON ALL THE WAY!!! It is romantic and beautiful, but a word of advice: try not to go in the middle of the summer because it can be sweltering! Try to go in late Spring or early Fall - perfect times to be there! I always feel very safe and there's lots to do. I don't feel quite as safe in Savannah and to me, there's not quite as much to do, especially that Josh would really enjoy. Phillip definitely prefers Charleston. I can lend you some guidebooks, too. There's nothing wrong with a semi-private beach; just watch out for the inevitable sand issues. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for Charleston, too! I agree, try to go when it's not so hot, though. I LOVE LOVE staying at Isle of Palms ~ they have the best little restaurants and places to hang out for casual nights. April D. always finds good deals on houses to rent on VRBO.com. FUN FUN FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never visited either, but they both seem extremely cool to me! I know...I'm of no help in this matter! But cool! We let our 10th anniversary go without much fanfare - I actually called D. at work on that day and said, "OMG, do you realize what today is?!?!" And he was horrified. In our rush to get out of the door, neither had realized. :-|

    ReplyDelete