Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Got Da Bluuues

Hey everybody! :) No, I'm not talking about macaroni and cheese (By the way, YUCK can't stand that stuff! And I know some of you will think I'm just un-American or un-Southern or whatever). But I'm really referring to "the blues" which is just about my very favorite kind of music. Being a Mississippi girl I get my love of "the blues" honest and no music carries me away to childhood and hot Mississippi summers like some Buddy Guy, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, B.B. King and even those lesser known but amazing artists like Howlin' Wolf, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, and Big Mama Thornton. And if you think those names are funny, check out some of my favorite funny song titles. Here's my TOP 12 (*wink wink my Jester girlies) and these are for real, y'all!

12. Why Don't You Haul Off and Love Me
11. If The Washing Don't Get You, The Rinsing Will
10. I Feel That Old Age Coming On
9. It's Yo World (And I'm Just Livin' In It)
8. Cornbread
7. Pressure Cooker ('Bout To Blow)
6. Funky Butt
5. Yo Dress Is Too Short
4. Let Me Play With Your Poodle
3. Meet Me With Your Black Drawers On
2. Wang Dang Doodle
1. Your Husband Is Cheatin' On Us

I don't think people would guess just how much humor there is in blues music, which is maybe another reason I like it so much. And great blues music is still being made today, although I'm not sure the song titles are as *ahem* interesting as they used to be. :) But if you're not familiar with the blues and want to get a listen, here's a CD that's filled with great classics and new favorites.



I'm no expert on the genre, but I really like this disc. Check it out on Amazon.com Pure Blues and you can listen to samples of the songs. And if you're a fan like I am, let me know some of your favorite artists or albums. With summer coming I can't get enough of my downhome Southern blues y'all!

1 comment:

  1. You know, #10 and I have both talked about how we clean the house to blues. I don't know what that means, but anyway, for me it really does keep me going better than 'most any other kind of music. Will have to check out the cd for the blues dude at our house since Father's Day is coming up! :)

    ReplyDelete